Monday, April 30, 2012

Trading Granola for Eggs - My Urban Barter Tale


I was on the road a couple of weeks ago and checking my computer when my I-Spy Radar saw an email with a subject line that had something to do with too many fresh eggs and trading cookies for them.  I try and stay off email a lot when I'm away seeing my kids or on vacation, but I couldn't NOT look at this one.  Backyard eggs just hook me right in.  And, of course, cookies fall right out of my oven.

My siblings and I grew up with fresh eggs; my dad either traded produce for them or shelled out a little cash to his Swedish farmer friend Munson.  When our  parents retired and took it (ha!) easy on a little "hobby" farm,  they had their own chickens and, hence, their own eggs, to say nothing of a garden that produced tomatoes the likes of which I've never again tasted.  When Dave and I visited as newlyweds, we had fresh eggs (fried in bacon or sausage grease) every morning early.  Why would you want anything else?  And why not at 6am?  There, of course, were also biscuits.  With sour cream and honey or molasses.  Unending pots of coffee.




To say that  mass-produced eggs pale in comparison is an apt description.  Don't you love the looks of this egg produced by one of Cathy's ladies?
(Read my post about this salsa here.)

So, anyway,  I missed great eggs for years.  I really missed them because I just love eggs.  I go through phrases where sure that the SB diet will take off my well-fed excess, I eat them daily.  Then I begin to worry about the cholesterol and switch back to egg whites.  Whichever, I always eat vegetables for breakfast, too.  (Alternately, I'll eat yogurt and fresh fruit for weeks on end--with my homemade low-fat granola.)  But back to the email:  as soon as I could arrange it,  I was ready to start trading whatever I had for those eggs

In St. Paul, you can now raise chickens in your own back yard.  Right in the city.  Now I don't have much space, and I'm only fond of eggs, not chickens, so I'm not putting up a coop back there in place of my postage stamp patio.  But I'm happy to oblige my friend Cathy and her family, who are the ones suffering from the overage.  Her "ladies" live in the yard, eat well, exercise daily, and are nearly pets who produce things like this:


 Here's a closer up pic so maybe you can see the beautiful colors.  The whites are nearly blue:



One week, I traded some oatmeal chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies:


This week I made granola for Dave, so just made a bigger batch and traded that.

It's lovely with milk, better with plain Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey, and best with homemade ricotta and fresh fruit. Naturally, you can scoop up a little and eat it out of hand.  (I do recommend leaving a scoop or spoon in the jar as you're keeping this granola awhile.)  Your choice.   Whatever you do, I hope you find someone with whom to trade it so that you can eat eggs like I'm eating!  Thanks, ladies.

alyce's low-fat granola with apricots, currants, and cherries
based on David Lebovitz'  recipe, which he says was based on Nigella Lawson's!
  • 5 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 2t cinnamon
  • 2t ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, optional
  • 1t kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 cups each: chopped walnuts and almonds
  • 1/2 cup each: pistachios, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and plain sesame seeds
  • 1/2 cup each: chopped dried apricots, cherries, and currants or raisins
  • 1/3 cup each: real maple syrup and honey  (can use all honey)
  • 3/4 c applesauce 
  • 2T olive oil
Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F.

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl or soup pot.  (oats through seeds)  Meantime, heat liquid ingredients over low heat, stirring, in a small sauce pan until just warm and well-combined. (syrup, honey, applesauce, and oil).  Pour liquid ingredients over dry and mix well for a few minutes.  Pour onto two or three large, rimmed baking sheets and bake 50-60 minutes until dry, golden, and crispy, stirring 3-4 times during the baking time.  Store in a tightly-sealed container for up to a month.  (This granola will not keep well in a plastic bag.)
--

Cook's Notes:

1.  I thought I'd share the differences between my granola and David Lebovitz'--his included 3/4 cup brown sugar (I skipped that) and had no fruit at all (I like fruit).  I also added ground cloves, which are optional.  But I definitely borrowed the idea of applesauce in place of the large amount oil usually used in granola and part of the reason it's so caloric.  This is very low fat, crispy, tasty, and...  well, you'll like it.

If you've never visited the magical David Lebovitz blog,  please do yourself a favor and make the trip today.  David is an American pastry chef living in Paris who always has a great story to tell---  The food's lovely, too, but it's the stories that bring me back again and again.  FYI--David also does things like Paris Chocolate Tours if you ever get to the City of Light.  If you want more info, check the blog or ask David yourself in the comment section of his blog.

2.  Changing it up:  The number of additions (and the size of their amounts), to the oats is rather flexible., as are the spices.   If you only have a few nuts and some raisins, for instance, you can still make this granola.  Or if you have only apricots and almonds...you can still make this granola.  Only have cinnamon?  Use 3 teaspoon cinnamon then.  See?   Do keep the main ingredients and proportions intact:  oats, honey, maple syrup, applesauce, and oil.

two-dog kitchen and a bit of travel

Mother Gabriela






Our lilacs through the piano window.  Two views--above and below.





Above: Tasting Sean's brews in Colorado.  Our son's on his way to becoming a master brewer.  Woo hoo!


Above:  In Princeton--a facade saved, ready for its new building to be built behind.  Meantime, you can see the sky!

My Easter cake...will blog soon.  Great for spring!

Dogwood blossom in Princeton

 With Dave and Emily eating lunch in the sunshine in the West Village
                                                  At The Spotted Pig in NYC,  April Bloomfield's restaurant.
                                                        Couldn't get in.  :(



Dappled light --West Village/NYC (above)

Gorgeous window boxes in downtown Princeton (above)

Princeton spring--Dogwoods (above)




"Yes, we did,"  said Gab and Tuck

Sing a new song,
Alyce

3 comments:

  1. The granola looks wonderful! I've wanted to try making my own for a while now. You've inspired me to go ahead! I wish I had someone with which to trade cookies for eggs. I buy mine at the farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think granola was pretty much a cookie without the flour and eggs... if you looked at it calorie-wise. No more. This is pretty guilt-free and we all need our oats these days! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alyce,

    Thanks for letting me know about your lowfat granola. I've bookmarked it and linked out to it in my post today. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear from you!

When you click on "Comment as," you have a choice of google id, etc. If you don't have a google id or a blog, choose ANONYMOUS. When you type your comment, you can sign your name there. Thanks!